Monday, May 26, 2014

Training 2

(Sam)
Well, today, we came across a path, that is quite familiar.
Way back in October, I decided that I was going to sell some popcorn to a teacher of mine for Boy Scouts. Little did I know of the adventure that lay ahead.

About halfway there, I remembered that a friend of mine only lived about half a mile away, so I'd sell some to him as well. Unfortunately, his neighbor's (and I'm, not joking about this in the slightest) yaks and emus steered my attention away from his house. I continued on my way to the teachers house, completely ignoring my friends house. When, I got to my teacher, she wasn't there, but her husband said that as I got to my friends house, she'd be home. He directed his hand the COMPLETELY OPPOSITE WAY, and I continued on a bike ride full of monstrous hills and an extra 7-10 miles. As soon as I got back to her house, she directed me the correct way, bought some popcorn, and I returned home safely, after a 15 mile bike ride. Today, we relived that bike ride. Unfortunately, we were hoping for at least a 20 mile ride, and we fell 5 miles short. And, we both agreed that we didn't want to do that 3 more times, so that doesn't help us much either!

(Amy)
It's true, we aren't anywhere close to being ready for 50 miles a day.  Maybe we never will be before we leave and we'll just tough it out during the week of riding?  I just hope we can have fun during the week and not have it feel like a week of work (torture?). 

Anyway, our 15 miles was a workout today, but Sam has become quite a rider.  I have to all but drag him out of the house to go on a ride, but once we're out there, he's like a machine!  Just keeps pedaling and pedaling!  At least 3 or 4 times he sat and waited for me while I caught up to him. 

I'm hoping to get a 25 miler in with him next weekend with a shorter one during the week - that's wishful thinking.  But with track done, soccer almost done and scouts winding down, he's got a bit more time after school. . . . so maybe. 

One thing is for sure - we need to buy more water bottles.  It's crazy how dry you get while riding! 

No comments: