Monday, June 29, 2015

Day Six-Monroe



Aaron: well so I got to ride the last day because the was only 20 miles. So before we went we had to decorate our bikes since it was the parade. The trip wasn't bad, I got a sucker from the candy stop (they have it every 7 miles or something).  Later on they had maps on the ride, battle fields, and the licorice  lady.  I do not like licorice, so while they were eating licorice I played the drums.  They had tubes and you hit them (wow I just told you how to play the drums!).  Well, I was popular.  A person video taped me and a lot said I was good. We saw a statue of general Custer on his horse. So when we got Monroe we saw a nuclear plant and power or coal plant.  We had a parade (which was very fast).  We had lunch and had a fun time.  We dropped off Mrs. Atherton (A friend that did it with us) and headed home.

(Amy)

Our last day!  Happy to be getting a rest for the legs, but sad that our time together is over.  Our evening UNO games, meals I don't have to cook, evening entertainment. . . all fun things.  I won't be sad not to have to set up and take down the tent or to have to deal with packing and unpacking of clothes and stuff.  

After the rainy day on Thursday, we had a few casualties.  The iPad was in a ziplock inside Sam's saddlebags, but still managed to get wet.  It's been a bit fickle while drying, but it's improving.  Sam's phone, on the other hand, seems to have paid the ultimate price.  It's currently in a bag of rice right now, but the outlook is grim.  

Jeff brought Aaron to Dundee by 7:30 on Friday Morning.  We packed everything up, loaded it into Jeff's car and we hopped on the bikes.  Only two rest stops on this ride since it was only 20 miles. The first was at mile 7, and I needed it with Aaron behind me and the wind was picking up.  The second stop was at a really nice city park in Monroe.  They had a big river and dam there to watch and a big set of pvc drums to play with.  Aaron loved those.  That was our licorice stop for the day.  And with it being the last day, they were looking to unload it, which meant plenty for everyone.  

We made a stop on the way at the River Raisin National Battlefield.  Sam had written a report on one of the Generals involved in this battle, so it was a neat stop to see.  A bike path carried us the rest of the way into Sterrling State Park.  The wind was really blowing by the time we got there. . . There was someone parasailing (?) on a surfboard there.  Fun to watch.  The parade of bikes was next.  Usually you end up in a town and they parade all 700 riders thru town wearing their Palm shirts.  This year, being in the park, they just had us ride around the park on a trail, so. It wasn't quite the same not being right in town with all the people, but it was still fun to see all the riders in one place.  They gave us a picnic lunch after that and then we started for home.  We were very glad to be done, but very excited that we made it through all 274 miles on our own.  And in all sorts of weather.  We did it!!!  We've already agreed that we're not riding next year. . . With Owen's graduation and Aaron's baseball season, it's going to be a pretty busy time.  And I could sure use a year off!  But I gotta say that if the route ends up going through Sanford or Midland or back through Hillsdale again, I just might be tempted.  :)



No comments: