The night was very windy, with the tent caving in on mom's side quite often, and neither of us got much sleep at all. Aside from that, breakfast was finally satisfying. Bagels, "mini-bagels", muffins, cereal, bacon, and more. Then after some quick packing we head off. We had a strong headwind in the beginning, but as we went on, it slowed, but was still noticeable. Not many points of interest, but most of the day was nice and flat which made a great day. There was one thing in the beginning of the day that sparked my mom's interest, but didn't really catch with me.
The Langely Covered Bridge, one of the only ones left in existence. I didn't really think it anything too special, but nevertheless, it was pretty cool on the inside.
Then, a small city happened to have create a similar reaction, but with a much better taste.
The city of Colon, the "Magic Capital of the World." It received mixed reviews. The magic shops were few and they weren't exactly impressive, but I think it was because we weren't sure what to expect from a store solely based on magic. Then, right down the street was a shop with ice cream, and it had my new favorite flavor, Salted Turtle, salted caramel ice cream with caramel and caramel cups. Yum!
The rest of the day was quick stops. Dinner was unannounced for some reason, and Aaron and my dad should be here any minute with the next half of the week's supplies. It's been a great time and I'm glad we did this again!
(Amy)
So the storms went north of us, but we got the wind! Other than the windy ride today, it was gorgeous weather. Much different from last night when we thought we would see Dorothy and Toto any minute. No real rain last night, just a lot of wind. Enough to keep collapsing the side of our tent (MY side) and whipping the rest of the tent into a frenzy. So, I was up till about 3am staking and restaking and trying to hold up my wall of the tent. People were up and around by 5am, so it was a light sleeping night. . .I'm expecting to sleep like a rock tonight!
Our first interesting sight was indeed the covered bridge, and yes, it WAS interesting! And pretty too. See?
Colon is the Magic Capital of the World. Hm. Well, maybe magicians think so, but we just found 2 old buildings with a stage, creepy lighting and tons of playing cards, and dusty boxed tricks for sale. It did not appeal to the magician in me. Where were the top hats and rabbits to pull out of them? How about a magic wand that turns into a flower bouquet? The stop wasn't ruined, however, as we had our daily watermelon break that the ride hosts. . . .
. . . and Sam got his Salty Turtle ice cream. Keep your eyes out for that flavor, the taste he gave me was incredible!
We finally made it to Coldwater High School. It was a pretty ride and great weather, but it's still tough on the legs.
53 miles in 7 hours and 11 minutes. I love that we aren't in a rush (but it sure doesn't feel slow!) and are taking lots of breaks. Makes the ride enjoyable!
Those are our "Yay, we're here and we're done for the day" faces. :)
So we got our bags and set up the tent and waited for Jeff and Aaron. They were bringing 3 more days of clean clothes for us and I was hoping for a pep talk to finish the week. :) Aaron looked exhausted from playing all day, so I told him he needed to get some good sleep if he was going to start out with us tomorrow. I'm hoping he won't be too excited to sleep! I'm hoping he (and I!) can make it to at least Reading tomorrow. I'd love it if he could get to Bankers by our house. We'll have Jeff come pick him up, then he and Jeff will head to Hudson High School to set up Snow Cones to sell for Science Olympiad. After that, Aaron has a baseball game in Pittsford that Sam and I will go to after we get to Hudson. The BIG exciting thing is that we will be spending the night at home tomorrow!! Debbi lives right in Hudson, so she is going home, and we will treat ourselves to a real bed and shower too.
So that's the plan for tomorrow. There are 3 potential ice cream stops tomorrow, and I've promised Aaron that he will get to one on the ride. Hoping the Pizza Barn (who sells ice cream too) will be open in time!








No comments:
Post a Comment